175 Great third date questions. What to talk about on the 3rd date: The best questions to ask your date to spark their interest and create an amazing love connection.
If you’ve made it to the third date then Congrats! Seriously! It definitely says a lot that you’ve made it past those first two nerve-wracking dates and found someone that interests you enough to want to know more.
Besides being an exciting new step with that special someone, the third date can also be a turning point in a relationship. Where things seem to either spark and go further or fizzle out all together. Which is why it’s critical for you to make the most of your time with them by asking the right third date questions.
Essentially the questions you should ask are going to be things that you must know by third date.
To make sure that you and your potential new love interest are as compatible as possible. Share the same values, goals, interests and want the same things out of a relationship and life.
Great Third Date Questions (Must Ask!)
The first 36 questions below are the must ask, no matter what, by the end of the third date questions. The truth is that healthy relationships aren’t built on chemistry alone. You need to have similar relationship goals, shared values, and lifestyle goals. As well as a partner that is emotionally intelligent and communicative in order to make things work.
These questions will help to clarify what each of you are looking for. As well as further identify your compatibility and wether or not there should fourth date:
- What does your ideal relationship look like?
- Are you looking for someone to share your life with, or would you prefer to just have fun and date a variety of people right now?
- What do you value most in a relationship?
- What qualities do you find most attractive in a romantic partner?
- What’s something that I’d be surprised to know about you?
- Are you family oriented?
- How would you describe your relationship with your family?
- What are the top three most defining moments in your life?
- How long was your longest relationship? And how did it end?
- What was the most important thing that you learned in a past relationship?
- Have you ever been in love?
3rd Date Questions To Ask (For Compatibility & Values)
10 Essential questions to ask by the third date. These eye-opening questions are going to tell you if the person that you’re dating is someone that you can start to build a future with (or not):
- What are your top 3 dating deal breakers?
- When it comes to a long-term relationship, what are 3 things that you want to have in common with your partner?
- What’s the most unpopular opinion or belief that you have?
- What’s the luckiest thing that’s ever happened to you?
- What’s the best relationship advice anyone ever gave you?
- What’s your favorite thing about being in a romantic relationship?
- What’s something that you used to believe about relationships but no longer do?
- Do you want to have kids one day?
- What is your attitude toward children? (For example do they seem easy going, or like the disciplinarian type.)
- Do you regularly pursue any hobbies or recreational activities? How much time do you spend on them?
- Do you prefer to communicate more over text, phone or to talk in person?
Must Ask Questions For Your Third Date
The third date is the time to move past the fluff, and get to know each other better by building a stronger connection. To do this you will want to make sure that you’re asking questions that will help build your emotional relationship intimacy. As well as, questions that will help you find out if you’re going to be compatible with them in the long run.
If you’re not sure what to ask, these questions below will help figure out what to talk about. Here is a list of great 3rd date questions to ask someone you like:
- What does your ideal day-off look like?
- If you could change your career today, would you do it, and what would it be?
- Do you like your job?
- Are you saving up for anything special, like a house or major trip?
- What’s your love language?
- How important are your religious and/or spiritual practices to you?
- What are your thoughts on….? (The 3rd date is the time to get specific on the more controversial topics that are important to you. Such as politics, religion or specific social issues such as racism, sexism etc.)
- Do you think that there are some situations where it’s ok to lie to your partner? If so, what are they?
- What are the top priorities in your life right now?
- Do you believe in true love or love at first sight?
- What are some things on your bucket list?
- What do you think the greatest pleasures in life are?
- How do you typically spend your time on weekends?
- Are you a neat person or more of a messy person?
Best Questions To Ask On a Third Date About Values
It’s important to move beyond the most obvious compatibly questions and ask your new love some emotional based deep questions. Which will shed light on their true beliefs and values. Creating a foundation of connection and drawing you closer together as a couple. Here are some interesting questions to ask your date that will tell you about their values:
- Is it more important to always be honest with others or kind to others?
- In your opinion, what do you consider the biggest difference between real love and infatuation?
- If you had to change one major thing that you did in a past relationship, what would you change?
- Do you believe humans are meant to be in monogamous relationships?
- What’s the best thing about your life right now?
- What are your thoughts on the saying “once a cheater, always a cheater”? Is that always the case or are some people capable of change?
- Growing up who did you admire the most in your family? What were thier best qualities?
- What emotional trait is a non-negotiable in a romantic partner?
- What are 3 things in your life that you’re grateful for?
- Which person are you closest to in your family?
- Do you have a spiritual belief system that you identify with?
- What’s the hardest mental challenge that you’ve ever had to face in your life?
Interesting Questions To Ask On Third Date
If you’re not sure what to talk about on a third date with someone then that’s where we can help. Below you’ll find a list of carefully curated interesting 3rd date questions. Which that will help you get to know your partner better. So you can decide if you want to get to a fourth date (or even more) with them!
- What’s one quality that makes you excited when you first meet someone?
- What are 3 things that you think we have already have in common?
- When do you feel the most loved in a relationship?
- Where are the top 3 places you spend your time on a weeknight / weekend?
- What qualities do you most admire in your closest friends?
- What’s a mistake you’ve made that later you realized ending up making you a better person?
- How much alone time to you need?
- What was the biggest lesson you learned from your last romantic relationship?
- If you could know anything about your future would you rather know how successful your career ended being or your romantic relationship?
- What do you consider the greatest accomplishment of your life so far?
3rd Date Questions To Ask About Family
Questions about family can be tricky and sometimes triggering too. As not everyone has grown-up in a safe and loving environment. So when I’m working with my coaching clients I usually recommend that they are sensitive to these issues. While you should definitely ask about family it’s best to save the deeper questions until after they’ve already established a connection. Which is usually around the third date. Here are a few questions to ask a (guy or girl) on a date about their family:
- What’s the best piece of relationship advice that your parents or grandparents gave you?
- Who did you strive not to be like in your family?
- What was your family like growing up?
- Does your family live here or somewhere else?
- Who in your family are you closest to?
- Growing up who do you think treated you better, your mom or your dad?
- When you were a kid, what was one of your favorite family traditions?
- Do you have any siblings?
- Are you more like your dad or mom?
- If you could change anything about the way that you grew up, what would it be?
- What’s your favorite childhood memory?
What To Ask On A Third Date About Future Goals & Dreams
If you’re on your third date with someone special, asking them questions about their future plans can reveal how compatible you are. As well as provide insight into their values and personality. To help make the conversation comfortable and enjoyable, here are some great questions to ask on a third date about future goals and dreams:
- Is there something that you’ve always dreamt of doing but haven’t yet?
- Do you see yourself with family of your own one day?
- What do you imagine your future family will be like?
- What would you like to be doing for work 5 years from now? In 10? In 20?
- What are you most excited to experience within in the next year?
- What does your ideal life look like 5 years from now? How about 10?
- Do you have any plans to travel in the next year? If so, where do you plan to go?
- Is there anything that scares you about the future?
- If you could live anywhere in the world where would it be?
- Is there anything on your future bucket list that you’d never want anyone to know about?
- What’s one thing you want to achieve before you retire?
Third Date Conversation Starters
The third date is often thought of as a milestone in the early stages of dating. It’s a critical time to make sure you and your partner are truly compatible. But sometimes coming up with the perfect things to talk about can be a challenge. Which why we’ve compiled this list of questions and thoughtful conversation starters for you to break out on your date. These inquires will help keep the conversation flowing while allowing both of you to learn more about each other:
- Do you think our personalities are compatible?
- What’s one quality that instantly makes someone you’re dating more attractive?
- What is the best thing about your job?
- What’s your idea of a perfect 3rd date?
- Where’s the coolest place you’ve ever traveled to?
- Do you have a secret talent?
- What do you think is a huge turn-on in a romantic partner?
- What do you think is a huge turn-off in a relationship partner?
- What Netflix show are you binging right now?
- If you could have anything that you could ever want in life, what would your dream life look like?
- What’s your favorite family tradition?
- What is the best compliment you’ve ever received?
- When you were a kid, what did you dream of being when you grew up?
If you’ve ever wondered if it’s ok to text a guy before your date to confirm. Yes, it’s ok. I share exactly what to text him here > “Should I Confirm A Date With A Guy Via Text?” (+ Examples)
Related – Yes or No Questions For Couples (From Funny To Romantic)
Fun Third Date Questions To Ask A Guy (Or Girl)
When it comes having a successful date night, it’s important to find the right balance between lighthearted and serious topics. This will help both of you learn more about each other without making either party feel uncomfortable (or like they are in the line of fire). Plus a couple that can laugh and have fun together, stays together! Here are some fun third date questions that can help break the ice and get your conversation rolling:
- Do you have any go-to flirting moves?
- If someone gave you a million dollars what would you immediately buy with it?
- What’s the most embarrassing thing that your parents have found in your room on your phone?
- What’s something that you think is always worth the wait?
- What’s your zodiac sign? And do you think it accurately describes your personality?
- Who was your celebrity crush as a teenager?
- What’s the silliest thing that you still have a strong sentimental attachment to?
- What’s one thing that you think you should never have to pay for?
- Who would you cast to play you in a movie about your life?
- What’s something that’s embarrassing, but shouldn’t be?
- What do you wish you had more of in your life right now?
- What would you be doing if money wasn’t an issue?
- Would you rather give up your smart phone for 3 months or be on a reality dating show for 1 month?
If you’re ever stuck wondering how to get a fun conversation going on a date. Would you rather questions are always a cute way to get the conversation rolling. For ideas of what to ask check out our article here >> 150+ Would You Rather Questions (Flirty & Fun Questions To Ask In Person On A Date Or Over Text)
Third Date Questions About Relationships
On your 3rd date, it’s important to get insight into your potential new love interests history and attitudes when it comes to romantic relationships. For example, asking them what makes for a healthy relationship or what qualities they look for in a romantic partner can help provide insight into their views on love and commitment. Which in turn can also show how serious they are about taking your relationship to the next level.
Here are some good questions that you can ask them to find out more about their romantic relationship history:
- How long does it usually take you to open up and share your feelings with someone?
- Do you know your attachment style? What is it?
- What does a successful life-long relationship look like to you?
- Has your work ever interfered with your personal romantic relationships?
- How do you usually let someone know that you’re interested in dating them?
- How do you usually approach defining a romantic relationship?
- Do you have a “physical type”?
- Am I your physical type?
- How many long-term relationships have you been in?
- If your friends described your worst habit, what would it be?
- When you’re in a committed relationship what do you define as cheating?
- What do you think are the top 3 deep, “emotionally intelligent” qualities that a romantic partner must have in order for a long-term relationship to be successful?
What To Ask On A Third Date (Best Random Questions)
The 3d date is perfect time to get to know someone better, so it’s important to ask thoughtful questions that will help you learn more about them. Here are some of the best random questions to ask your date, that can lead to meaningful conversations and get you closer than ever before:
- Do you believe in soulmates?
- What’s one thing that can always bring a smile to your face?
- How do you typically deal with stress?
- Are you the kind of person who prefers to be spontaneous on a date or would you rather plan every last detail?
- Growing up, what was one of the most embarrassing things that you ever did?
- Are you a morning person or a night owl?
- Are you the kind of person that’s always on time or always running late?
- What do you miss the most about being a kid?
- Knowing what you know now, what is one piece of advice that’d you’d give your younger self?
- Do you have a favorite quote? What is it?
- What’s your dream job?
For tips on what to do on a third date check out our list of 50 Third Date Ideas.
Flirty Questions To Ask On a Third Date
Third dates are notoriously tricky. You don’t want to come on too strong, but you still want to show your affection and interest while creating a meaningful connection too. The perfect way to create that balance is to ask a few fun, flirty questions that will keep the conversation going and help you learn more about each other. Here are some great ideas for flirty questions to ask your date:
- How would you describe me in three words?
- Would you rather that people thought of you as sexy or smart?
- What’s your favorite thing about our date so far?
- What wins you over more…a girl/guy with brains or beauty?
- What’s something that you’ve always imagined doing with a romantic partner that you’ve never done?
- What did you first think when you saw me?
- What is the wildest thing you’ve ever done that you’d absolutely do again?
- Do you consider yourself an affectionate person?
- How do you feel about PDA? Yay or Nay? (“PDA” aka, public displays of affection)
- How do you know when you’ve fallen for someone?
- Do you believe in love at first sight?
Related – Couples Question Game
What To Ask On A Third Date (Interesting Random Questions)
The random personal questions below will help give you insight into your new love interests lifestyle, values, beliefs and how they operate in a romantic relationship:
- What’s your next goal, it can be big or small, that you want to accomplish in life?
- What’s the most usual place that you’ve ever been?
- Do you believe in destiny or fate?
- Where are you most likely to be at a party?
- Are you a spender or saver?
- What’s the most romantic thing that someone has ever done for you?
- What’s your idea of a perfect weekend? Do you prefer to spend your weekends indoors or outdoors?
- How do you like to keep active?
- If you could rewrite your past, is there anything that you would do differently?
- How do you typically spend your time during the week after work?
- How do you think you’ve grown over the last few years?
Fun Questions To Ask Your Date (Guy or Girl)
A shared sense of humor can sometimes be underrated but it’s actually a pretty important part of being in a relationship. Especially when it comes to getting through all the ups and downs of life as a couple. Asking funny questions on a date is a great way to get to know them better and break the ice. Here are a few ideas of what to ask on your third outing together:
- Would you rather be TikTok famous or win an Oscar?
- If you had to describe your life with a “expectation vs. reality” gif / meme what would the two pictures be?
- Do you think that you would you survive a zombie apocalypse?
- Do you enjoy Karaoke? If so, what’s your go-to karaoke song? If not, would you ever try it?
- Have you ever hurt yourself doing something totally embarrassing?
- What do you think your hottest physical trait is?
- What’s the weirdest / bravest thing that you’ve ever eaten?
- Who would you want to play your romantic love interest in a movie about your life?
- What’s the craziest or most romantic thing you’ve ever done for a girl/guy?
Related – This Or That Questions For Couples
Good 3rd Date Conversation Starters & Questions
- Have you ever read a book that changed your life?
- Are you friends with any of your exes?
- Do you believe in karma?
- What the most adventurous thing that you’ve ever done?
- What can you easily say is one of the best decisions you’ve ever made?
- Are you a picky eater or an adventurous eater?
- Would you prefer to spend your vacation camping in a tent or chilling at a five start resort?
- What do you enjoy most about how your life is going right now?
- Do you prefer good morning texts or good night texts?
- What’s your biggest pet peeve?
- Do you prefer cats or dogs? Does it even really matter?
- What’s something that you prefer to do alone?
- What’s one thing that you prefer to do with a partner?
- What impact do you want to have on the world?
- What makes you happiest and makes you feel like the most you?
What Can You Expect From A Third Date?
By date three you can expect to let your date know what your relationship intentions, boundaries and long term goals are. As well as be crystal clear on what all their dating goals are before moving forward with a fourth date. After all there’s no point in dating someone that doesn’t want the same things as you. No matter how much chemistry there is or how attractive they are.
It’s also important to remember that you can’t know everything about a partner or how successful your new potential relationship will be after the third date. So make sure to ask the personal questions that you most need to know. Then if their answers align with you, then it will be a good sign to keep dating them and moving your relationship forward.
What Should Happen On A Third Date?
The most important thing that should happen on a third date is to make sure that you are opening up and discussing a variety of meaningful topics including your relationship goals, values and long term lifestyle goals. Which will reveal wether or not this person is compatible with you (or not). It’s also important to see if there’s chemistry between you, so don’t forget to get a little flirty and have fun too!
Make sure to keep this list of interesting third date questions handy, so you will know exactly what to talk about to make it a great date night and keep the conversation fun and flowing.
**Your Next Step**
Want to attract great guy? Get your complimentary guide 44 Places To Meet A High Quality man Click Here.
**What To Read Next – Dating & Relationships**
- 110 Date Night Ideas For Couples
- 21 First Date Conversation Starters & Tips (To Quickly Make A Meaningful Connection)
- 9 Texts To Get Him Chasing You
- Romantic Questions For Couples
- Date Night Quotes
Save this list of third date questions by dating coach and relationship expert Deanna Cobden for later on Pinterest. So you know exactly what to talk about on the 3rd date with a guy or girl that you like.